Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Annular Disc Tear/Leaky Disc Syndrome

Posted by Mindy

I went to the chiropractor this morning and am at least happy to finally have a diagnosis for my back pain which doesn't include, "that is normal for all pregnant women" (as I have heard all too often by other women). Yes, pregnancy changes your body and yes, there is going to be some "growing pains" but I don't think it should be something we should just have to accept.

The Chiropractor I visited (scottchiro.com) has worked with many pregnant women and has even written a book on the subject, "The other side of Pregnancy." He believes that my pregnancy has exacerbated a condition my symptoms would suggest I have had for several years and that is "Annular Disc Tear/Leaky Disc Syndrome." His remedy? A few adjustments, 3 acuptuncture sessions (which I am totally excited for) and some messages...poor me, huh? :) So, basically there is a tear in a disc which is causing it to leak and when this occurs there is severe lower back pain. In addition, the right side of my body is not aligned correctly, big surprise there ;) (chiropractors ALWAYS find their patients are not aligned correctly). But seriously, this is not a surprise to me. I have had some pretty bad pain in my right hip and when I get a headache in the front part of my brain (unlike my tension headaches), the pain is always on the right side. If he can bring the right hip back to where it is supposed to go, the pain should be reduced significantly.

Anyway, I just wanted to write about it because it is nice to know that I am not crazy...that there is a cause of my pain, not just that I am pregnant and should have to deal with it.

I have my first acupuncture appointment tomorrow after work and I can't wait. I really honestly believe 100% in acupuncture (as long as the person who is doing it has been trained).

blog

0 comments: