Every single time I sit down to write about my children and how they've grown and changed over the months, I am struck by how slow the weekdays feel and yet how the months and years are flying. The last post I wrote about Selah was for her 1st birthday. How could time have passed so quickly? She is now 20 months.
My sweet baby girl has grown and changed so much. I always thought raising boys would be so much more challenging that raising girls. Boys come with so many challenges I don't feel prepared to face. Challenges about keeping pure in such a hedonist world, challenges in raising them to honor and respect women...the list is endless. But I didn't realize, at even such a young age, how tender a girl could be. Selah constantly needs kisses and hugs for any simple offense. The dog sniffed her arm, she needs a kiss. She got a drop of water on her head, she needs a hug. This can sometimes be frustrating because my life is already packed full of drama (the consequences of having children so close in age I suppose). But when I stop and think about it, it is a precious, beautiful thing. I have the opportunity to teach my daughter that she can be both strong and vulnerable. That she can be independent but also cherished and prized. This is a huge responsibility.
I am also struck by how quickly she is developing. Certainly being a girl and being the second child has given her the upper hand. Her vocabulary is fairly large and just in general she is one smart cookie (in spite of the many ways I've ignored the many opportunities I have to educate and train her...).
Selah,
Happy year and a half girl! You are the smile on my face in the morning, the laughter in my heart. Your sweet voice brings me so much joy. You are such a caring little girl. Anytime anyone is hurt, you immediately run up to them and ask if they are OK. Your little eyes speak such depth of love and compassion for those hurting and I can't wait to see these things develop in your heart.
You still love to read, though you are much more opinionated than you once were. Sometimes we can read for 30 minutes, sometimes I get through 2 pages and you start screaming, "I don't want this one!" Your favorite book by far the last few months has been "Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus." You SCREAM the words and are very expressive. You have many books memorized and also enjoy reading to yourself. It is fun to see you study each page and to tell your own version of the story.
You also love music and dancing, though you are VERY picky about music. You are constantly asking for specific songs. And if I put anything other than the requested song on, it is an instant tantrum until that is remedied.
Like any almost 2 year old, you are fairly picky with your food. Some days, all I can do is get you to eat carbs. Other days, you are fairly cooperative. You often enjoy avocado and corn, apple sauce. You have some mad skills when it comes to feeding yourself and you spill much less than Elias does.
You are really into your doll, Grace and you are also fairly attached to Elias' doll, Max (much to his anger). You like to wrap her up in blankets and talk to her. It is fun to watch you.
Another of your joys in life is spinning. I don't get it. You love to get very dizzy. Daddy spins you in your spinny chair and you just scream "more, more." It makes me sick to even listen to the chair going in circles.
You have an affinity for shoes but are constantly changing your mind on which pair you want to wear. On any given day, you will wear at least 3 different pairs of shoes (in various sizes) any number of times.
Selah, love, you are such a joy. I can't wait to see how you grow and change over the next 6 months.
I love you.
0 comments:
Post a Comment