Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Flats Challenge Day 6

Posted by Mindy

A little back story:


I am taking part in the Second Annual Flats and Handwashing Challenge hosted by Dirty Diaper Laundry.  For 7 days I will be using only flat cloth diapers and handwashing them in an effort to prove that cloth diapering can be affordable and accessible to all.  You can learn more about the rules and why this challenge was started by visiting the announcement post.  This year there are over 450 participants from all over the world!  


I missed the last two days of blogging for the Flats Challenge...

sometimes, other things are more important.

Saturday's Blog topic was supposed to be an open topic day and Sunday's was on reflections and what we've learned.

So here goes.  Don't expect much.  Its after 9 p.m. and my husband is still at work...its been a long day but it is the only opportunity I have.

One of the main reasons I wanted to take part in this challenge is that I wanted to show that cloth diapering can be for everyone; even for a mother of 4 who didn't use cloth diapers on her first 3 kids and feels its too late; or the women who do not want to invest a lot of money into something they just are not sure is going to work for them.

Let what I am about to say really sink in for a minute:

EVERY SINGLE disposable diaper that was ever manufactured (and used) is still in existence. Every.Single.One.  (Well, I can't vouch for the diapers that have been eaten by dogs...)

No one knows how long it will take for a disposable diaper to decompose but it is estimated that it will take between 250-500 years.  500 YEARS, PEOPLE!  And what about those diapers completely sealed in the diaper genie bags...will they ever decompose?

Please know that I am not trying to guilt.  I know full time cloth diapering doesn't work for everyone...who would I be kidding.  But almost everyone can cloth diaper at least some of the time...

Even one cloth diaper change per day is worth it.  Just check out this page: Change 3 Things.

For anyone interested in learning more about the benefits of cloth diapering for the wallet and the environment, visit the page: Real Diaper Association.

I will end with this quote:


We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, 

we borrow it from our children.




Photobucket

0 comments: